Saturday, October 24, 2009

Latino in America

I watched all four parts today. Soledad O'Brien did a WONDERFUL job. The only topic that wasn't covered was the issue of color. Many don't realize that color discrimination exists amongst Latinos. Its an unspoken rule that if you were dark skinned; you should marry someone who was lighter to improve the race so that the future generation can have good hair and be more accepted. (sound familiar?)

Besides that, the series was on point; especially the part about the conflicts between mothers and daughters. Once I hit my teens, my relationship with my mom was strained because I wanted to be like the other girls (i.e. wearing make-up, mini skirts, go out on dates, go to parties unsupervised etc.) My mom was VERY strict about stuff like that. When she grew up, girls didn't start wearing make-up until they turned 15. (I snuck out the house with a tube of lip gloss at 13 and would wipe it off before I got home). You weren't allowed to date until you turned 16; even then her parents had to meet the boy’s parent to determine the young man's character. If her parents didn't like him or his family, there was no dating. PERIOD!!!! End of story.  You didn't ask why, you did what you were told. I was fortunate because a lot of my friend’s parents shared the same feelings. I wanted my independence and felt denied. It was still difficult seeing other kids do things I wanted to do but couldn't. In my case wouldn't dare try to do because my parents had instilled the fear of
G O D in me and made me think that if I stepped out of line I'd end up in HELL!!!

One of the most disturbing parts was seeing the girl put her family's needs before her education. The machismo mentality that girls aren't worth educating is heartbreaking. It creates a never ending cycle of poverty. Girls feel that their only purpose in life is motherhood. It's constantly reinforced. I remember the shame parents felt if their daughter got pregnant. Having a child out of wedlock was next to dying because it brought shame to your family. Back when I was growing up, girls were sent away to live with distant relatives and told to lie. Even in my own family, it was a taboo subject. It's obvious that the only way out of poverty is through education but with such a high drop out rate, these kids are destined to repeat the same mistakes. I hope she stays focused and finishes school. Having a child doesn't mean the end of the world. With the right support, she will achieve great things.

The second disturbing part was the children being held at Boystown. I'm happy that the young lady was given a visa to stay in the States. I blame the mother for what happened. She put her personal needs before that of her children. Many parents come to the States and leave their children with relatives in pursuit of a better life. Yet this woman must have known that her mother was dying of cancer and there was no one left to take care of her children. She started a new life and didn't have time for her former life. When did it become okay to have a 12 year old fend for herself? The young woman showed tremendous bravery and courage, but her manner of going about it was extremely dangerous and reckless. She could have easily drowned crossing the Rio Grande. There are plenty of people who never make it across the border because a coyote (human trafficker) has killed them for their money.

My favorite part of the show was the story of the Puerto Rican gentleman learning English. He is a clear example why mastery of the English language is vital for success in America. Even though he is an American citizen, his job prospects are slim because no one can understand what he is saying. When my mom came here in 1968, she didn't speak a word of English. She was miserable and felt alienated, but she didn't let that stop her. She taught herself English by watching TV and taking night classes. She knew that in order to succeed and create a better life, she had to learn the language. Learning English and assimilating into American culture didn't make her less Cuban.

Overall, the great series was informative and gave a glimpse into the lives of Latinos in America.

No comments: